Thursday, June 18, 2009

Back in the swing of things

We are back at Sandra's House after a four week visit to the United States. We really enjoyed the time we got to spend with our family and friends, but as always it seemed to go by way too fast!

Our first week back Miguel took us out to a village to visit a pastor. Please forgive me, I forgot where we went. This village previously had a Video Bible School and Miguel wanted to talk to him about starting another one with a new group of people. We also talked to him about a children's ministry conference we will be hosting in July. While we were there, he and his wife fed us chicken and homemade tortillas! I think they butchered the biggest chicken they had. He gave me a chicken leg and it was gigantic- like turkey leg sized (from the fair...and everything is gigantic at the fair!). The homemade tortillas were the best! They were so thick and chewy. I probably could have eaten a couple of pounds of those tortillas. After lunch, he took us to his backyard where he showed us his mango and avacado trees. He climbed up the mango tree and shook it and sent us home with a bag full of mangos. They were pretty tasty!

This week our good friend Dan Meyer from Just For You Ministries of Prague, Oklahoma, came to visit. He brought with him Pastor Tim Emmons from the First Baptist Church of Prague. They brought down 5 suitcases full of children's ministry materials and comentarios for the pastors. They had quite the adventure getting through customs with all of the books! They lady scanning the suitcases at the airport could not understand why in the world someone would have so many suitcases of just books!

We visited three villages with them. At one of the villages, Naranjal Poniente, they discussed the logistics of a construction project on a church. A good portion of the building had been destroyed by a hurricane. They are now in the process of putting in a new wall (or two) and a permanent roof. We are really excited about the progress that will be made on that project!

For me personally, it's been kind of a tough couple of weeks. I think leaving home this time was harder than our initial move here. It's not that I'm not as excited about what we're doing here and what God is doing with us here, but not being able to just drive down to my parents' house whenever I want or go to Walmart with my b-f-f at a moment's notice is tough. I'm still happy to be here, but I guess I'm just still a little homesick. I could probably use some prayers on that one!

I guess that's all I have for now. I need to go plan some English lessons. We're planning 3 week English program for July and I'm starting to get a little nervous. I never really realized how difficult the English language was until I tried to teach it! Agh!

We love you all and we are so grateful for your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment